Eight people died and many were injured during Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival earlier this month.
Eight people died, and hundreds of others were injured during Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival earlier this month. In a video posted to his Instagram story on Nov. 6, Scott said he was "just devastated" by the incident, adding, "I could never imagine anything like this happening. I'm going to do everything I can to keep you guys updated and keep you guys informed of what's going on. Love you all." According to PEOPLE, the 29-year-old rapper is hoping to reach out to the families of those affected. "I just want to send out prayers to the ones that was lost last night. We're actually working right now to identify the families to assist them through this tough time," he said. "My fans really mean the world to me, and I always want to leave them with a positive experience."
Travis Scott was reportedly not aware of the fatalities at Astroworld until after he arrived at Drake’s after-party in Houston.— Complex (@Complex) November 10, 2021
“When someone told Travis […] he immediately left the party.”
Read more: https://t.co/2KElrDMHOH pic.twitter.com/UeM7GHiIsc
Many festival-goers have been criticizing the musician over the tragedy. Twenty-year-old David McGilver told the outlet that he was "upset" with Scott for not stopping the concert sooner. "I still can hear this in my head—I remember me being on the ground and the music stopping, and I could hear [Travis] say, 'Y'all know what y'all came here for.' And you can hear everybody screaming out for help. And then the music just plays back again." An insider claims that the performer was unaware of the seriousness of the situation. "The lights were shining in his eyes, and he couldn't see what was happening," said the source. "He thought someone had just passed out, which happens during concerts." According to BuzzFeed News, three people who say they sustained injuries at the Astroworld Festival have filed lawsuits.
Fans who say they sustained injuries at the Astroworld Festival have filed lawsuits against Travis Scott and Drake. https://t.co/QE6mAyg8hH— BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) November 10, 2021
In the wake of the disaster, dozens of clips of other performers who stopped their shows to help fans have been making the rounds on the internet. One such video features the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson. The musician once stopped a performance mid-song to call for security and ask that they save a bug that had made its way on stage. "Security," he called. "Could you get this bug? I don't want anybody to step on this. Don't kill it, though." TikTok user @he.is.michael.jackson shared the clip where the legendary hit-maker actually stopped one of his massive shows to save the life of an insect. The security guard, who had already begun to exit the stage with the bug, came back to show Michael that it was still alive before finally leaving the stage.