A two-hour hearing will take place between March 15 and 31 at which “further evidence” can be adduced.
As we're all aware by now, a much-publicized UK court ruling went against Johnny Depp where he attempted to sue a British tabloid for labeling him a “wife-beater”. Ex-spouse Amber Heard alleged domestic abuse against The Pirates of the Caribbean star. The ruling ended up agreeing in favor of the media outlet and calling it “substantially true.” According to We Got This Covered, Depp’s legal team vowed to argue the results of the case and it looks like they might just have their chance.
Depp’s lawyers have claimed that the actor “did not receive a fair trial” and that the ruling was “plainly wrong.” Depp in a statement after the ruling said, "The surreal judgment of the court in the U.K. will not change my fight to tell the truth, and I confirm that I plan to appeal." Johnny Depp and his legal team will now be able to receive an oral hearing that will take place in March. According to Deadline, Court of Appeal judge Lord Justice Underhill decreed that an estimated two-hour hearing will take place between March 15 and 31 at which “further evidence” can be adduced. He wrote, "The issues raised by both applications are best resolved at a hearing." Depp’s team can respond by February 28 while Amber Heard’s legal team will be required to file reasons for opposing the appeal by February 21. In the U.S, Depp’s defamation lawsuit with Heard continues. Depp is suing Heard for defamation in Virginia courts over a 2018 op-ed she wrote for The Washington Post. According to Variety, Heard will be allowed to pursue her $100 million defamation countersuit against her ex-husband, Johnny Depp.
Johnny Depp's attempt to have Amber Heard's $100 million defamation countersuit thrown out was dismissed https://t.co/QkXkZy1OyF— VANITY FAIR (@VanityFair) January 8, 2021
The court drama seems to be taking a toll on the actor's career. Soon after losing his earlier case, Depp departed from the Fantastic Beasts franchise and had to step down from playing the dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald. He has been replaced by actor Mads Mikkelsen. The 57-year-old took to Instagram, writing that Warner Bros., the studio behind Fantastic Beasts, had requested his resignation. “Johnny Depp will depart the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ franchise. We thank Johnny for his work on the films to date,” a Warner Bros. spokesperson said, according to Variety.
At the end of last year, soon after Christmas, the 57-year-old actor took to social media to share a message with fans alongside a black-and-white image of himself at a bar with Pogues frontman, Shane MacGowan, reports PEOPLE. The post comes shortly after he lost his libel case against the tabloid for its 2018 story. He wrote: This year has been so hard for so many. Here’s to a better time ahead. Happy Holidays, everyone! My love and respect to you all. Eternally, JD. Fans continue to rally in support of the actor.